Mango - YOURHELTH

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Mango

Mango

 Calypso mango

Every time I eat mango, it’s like I am eating it for the first time. The taste of this delicious, fleshy fruit just blows me away! And I find it incredibly satisfying.

I often eat it it on its own, as part of a tropical fruit salad or with a few mixed berries, and you can even cook with it (it goes great in a curry). One of the most appealing recipe ideas I’ve seen in a long time was a warm, Thai mango and fish salad. I’ll have to try that pretty soon, and post it to the weight loss recipes section of course!

More Than Just A Pretty Taste

But it’s not just about taste. Mango qualifies as a fat burning food because it is packed full of vitamins (A, B1, B2, B3, C, E and K) and minerals (calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc). It’s also a great source of folic acid and tryptophan – which can stimulate the release of serotonin, the “happy hormone”. No wonder I love it so much!
You’ll also be glad to know that mangoes are rich in antioxidants, in particular betacarotene, quercetin and astragalin. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals in the body that can lead to heard disease, cancer, degenerative diseases and cause permanent cell damage.

What About The Sugar Content?

mango chunksSome people worry that mango has a high sugar content, and I’ve even heard “health experts” recommend against it for that very reason. But the mango’s natural, fruit based sugars will not produce an insulin reaction like refined, processed sugars and artificial sweeteners will.
So just to clear things up, mango does not stimulate the release of fat storing hormones or spike your blood sugar level. It actually helps the production of fat burning hormones.

 

Mango

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment